Patent Deposit Services
ATCC has been providing dependable storage of materials for patent purposes since 1949, long before depositing was a formal requirement of any patent office. Our patent depository currently includes more than 20,000 strains of biological materials.
ATCC is an International Depository Authority (IDA) for the deposit of biological material for the purposes of patenting under the Budapest Treaty on the International Recognition of the Deposit of Microorganisms for the Purposes of Patent Procedure. ATCC assumes no liability for the correctness of the depositors information concerning patent and safe deposits.
- Dependable storage. ATCC has been storing biological materials since 1925. We are experts in maintaining viability and integrity of cultures.
- International patenting. ATCC is an International Depository Authority (IDA) under the International Budapest Treaty for deposits to meet patent office requirements in many countries. All countries signatory to the Budapest Treaty must recognize the deposit of biological material with any IDA. Standard patent deposit, which meets the requirements of the USPTO, is also available.
- Versatile storage. ATCC accepts the following biological material for patent purposes: algae, animal viruses, bacteria, bacteriophages, cell lines, cloned genes, nonhuman embryos, filamentous fungi, hybridomas, plant tissue cultures, plant viruses, purified DNA, protozoa, genomics materials (clones, vectors, libraries, etc.), seeds, and yeasts.
- Security and confidentiality. Our facility is specially designed for secure long-term storage of biological materials. All deposits are strictly confidential until the patent issues.
How to deposit
The first step in depositing materials for patent purposes is to contact the Patent Depository prior to shipping your biological materials. Please e-mail the Patent Depository at firstname.lastname@example.org of your intent to ship patent deposit materials to ATCC to ensure that all required documentation has been completed. If you do not contact ATCC prior to shipping your biological materials there could be delays in processing your patent deposit.
ATCC Patent Depository
10801 University Blvd.
Manassas, VA 20110
Please select one of the forms below to initiate a patent deposit. The deposit form selected must accompany your patent materials during time of shipment:
Complete identification is required for each deposited item to ensure that ATCC is aware of all characteristics that may impact regulatory compliance in their handling, storage, and distribution. This information must be included on the patent deposit form or appended as necessary.
The following list describes how much biological material is needed for a valid deposit:
- Microorganisms such as bacteria (either containing a plasmid or not containing a plasmid), bacteriophages, fungi, algae, yeast, and protozoa: 25 frozen or freeze-dried samples (0.5 ml each).
- Mixed cultures and consortia: 25 frozen or freeze-dried samples (0.5 ml each).
- Cell lines and hybridomas: 25 frozen samples (2 - 6 million cells each).
- Plasmids and vectors: (e.g., purified DNA, libraries, and associated genomics materials): 25 vials (100 ng each).
- Animal viruses: 25 frozen or freeze-dried samples (1 ml each).
- Plant tissue cultures: 25 frozen samples. Must be callus tissue. Seeds preferred.
- Seeds: 2500 seeds (100 labeled packets of 25 seeds each). Please refer to MPEP 2403.02 regarding the patent deposit seed requirement.
In the case of viruses, cell cultures, purified plasmids or vectors, consortia, mixed cultures and seeds, it is the responsibility of the depositor to furnish sufficient quantity for the specified period of time. In most instances ATCC will not replicate this type of material. ATCC does not accept test tubes or other actively growing cultures.
Services and Pricing Storage and informing: $2500.00
Methods of Payment
You may pay for patent services in the following ways:
- Checks drawn on a U.S.A. bank made payable to ATCC, 5779 Collections Center Dr., Chicago, IL 60693
- Charge to Visa, MasterCard or American Express
- Transfer of funds to Account Number 003933990352, ABA # 026009593, American Type Culture Collection, c/o Bank of America, 100 West 33rd Street, New York, New York 10001, telephone 1.800.333.9473, SWIFT Code BOFAUS3N. Federal ID #53-0196548.
- Purchase orders.
More information about making a patent deposit.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Patent Depository Brochure
View all Deposit Services provided by ATCC.