Permits and Forms

Index of ATCC Compliance Forms and Regulatory Permits

ATCC documents can be downloaded using Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Information about permits is provided as a courtesy to ATCC customers.

While we use reasonable efforts to include accurate and up-to-date information on this page, we make no warranties or representations as to its accuracy. ATCC is not responsible for any errors or omissions or for the results obtained from the use of this information. Content of the site is subject to change without notice. Contact the appropriate regulatory agency for current requirements. Anyone purchasing ATCC cultures is ultimately responsible for obtaining permits.

ATCC Requirements

Certain strains and a few cell lines require one or more permits before distribution of the material can be made. Note: Customers are notified when orders are received without the necessary permits and given two months to supply the permit before the order will be cancelled. Permits can be faxed (703-365-2750) or mailed, ATCC, Sales Department, P.O.Box 1549 Manassas, VA 20108.

Potentially Highly Pathogenic Materials

To alert the user of potential risk, ATCC has designated certain materials as potentially highly pathogenic. ATCC requires a Customer Acceptance of Responsibility Form (11.1KB/.pdf) be completed and returned to ATCC before shipment of such materials can be made.

USA Requirements

PHS/CDC-Human etiologic agents and vectors

Certain materials require a permit issued by the Office of Public Health and Safety, CDC permit 0.728 for importation and distribution. You must use permit application form CDC 0.753. For information concerning regulations governing permit requirements and shipment of pathogens and vectors of human disease, please contact the Office of Health and Safety, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1600 Clifton Road, NE, Mailstop A-46, Atlanta, GA 30333, telephone 404-718-2077; FAX 404-718-2093.

USDA/APHIS- Animal pathogens and plant pests
Veterinary Services (VS):

Certain materials require a permit issued by the National Center for Import Export (NCIE), Products Program, Unit 40, 4700 River Road, Riverdale, MD 20737-1231. Application forms, VS 16-3 (and 16-7). For further information concerning regulations regarding the importation or movement of certain animal pathogens and vectors, please contact the NCIE office at 301-734-3277 or FAX 301-734-8226.

Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ):

Certain materials require a permit from the Plant Protection and Quarantine Office, Biological Assessment and Taxonomic Support, 4700 River Road, Unit 133, Riverdale, MD 20737-1231, telephone 301-734-0841. They are designated by "USDA PPQ-526 permit required". Note: Effective January 1, 1999, permit applications are to be sent directly to USDA and they will forward them to the appropriate state plant regulatory officials.

Biotechnology and Scientific Services (BSS):

A few clones require USDA APHIS Form 2000 for genetically engineered microorganisms that are plant pests. For further information concerning regulations governing the introduction, importation, interstate movement or release into the environment of genetically engineered organisms or products, contact the office of BSS, Biotechnology Permit Unit, APHIS, 4700 River Road, Unit 147, Riverdale, MD 20737-1237, telephone 301-734-7324.

U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service

The sale of any endangered wildlife is conditional on the issuance of a valid permit by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and will not be consummated until a permit is obtained from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.

State of Hawaii Import Regulations

The importation of microorganisms (bacteria, fungi, viruses, algae, and protozoans) and infectious cell lines into the State of Hawaii requires an import permit from the Hawaii Department of Agriculture. It is the responsibility of the customer in Hawaii to obtain the permit and provide a copy to ATCC in advance of shipment. For further information refer to Hawaii Administrative Rules Title 4 Chapter 71, Non-Domestic Animal and Microorganism Import Rules and Hawaii Revised Statutes Chapter 150A. Additional questions and application requests should be referred to Ms. Amy Higa, Micro-Organisms Specialist; Plant Quarantine Branch; State of Hawaii, Department of Agriculture; 701 Iialo Street, Honolulu, HI 96813-5524; telephone 808-973-9560.

Exportation of Materials from the U.S.

Canadian customers should refer to the information provided in the following section entitled "Canadian Requirements". 
International customers should request any necessary import permits from their appropriate government agency and provide the import permits to the ATCC with their order.
The U.S. government requires an export license, issued by the Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security, before shipment outside the U.S. for certain organisms. ATCC applies for an export license for these materials. Microorganisms on the Commerce Control List are distributed only within the United States. Microorganisms on the Commerce Control List are distributed only within the United States. 

Canadian Requirements

Canada requires that all human, animal, and plant pathogens be accompanied by an import permit issued by the appropriate agency. Zoonotic pathogens require import permits from all agencies affected.

Human Pathogens:

Health Canada issues import permits for human pathogens. Contact Office of Biosafety (0700A1), Laboratory Centre for Disease Control, Health Protection Branch, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 012 (Tel: 613-957-1779, FAX: 613-941-0596) for application forms and details. Additional information about importing human pathogens into Canada can be found on the Health Canada website.

Animal Pathogens:

Canadian Food Inspection Agency issues import permits for animal pathogens. Contact Animal Health Division, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, 59 Camelot Drive, Nepean, Ontario K1A 0Y9 (Tel: 613-225-2342, FAX: 613-228-6630). For application forms and details please consult the CFIA website:

Plant Pathogens:

Canadian Food Inspection Agency issues import permits for plant pathogens. Contact Centre for Plant Quarantine Pests, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, 3851 Fallowfield Road, Nepean, Ontario K2H 8P9 (Tel: 613-228-6698 ext. 5911, FAX: 613-228-6676). For application forms and details please consult the CFIA website:

Shipping Requirements:

All shipments of infectious substances in Canada require compliance with Canadian Transport of Dangerous Goods Regulations. For details please consult Transport Canada website or you may call 613-990-1151.


Nagoya Protocol Advisor Notice

Genetic material deposited after 12 October 2014 now fall under the Convention on Biological Diversity and its Nagoya Protocol. This allows for the fair sharing of genetic resources. Of particular relevance to ATCC customers are articles 6 (prior informed consent required),14 (access and benefit clearing house) and 15 (local enforcement). Details, and the access and benefits clearing house, can be found at:

It is the responsibility of end users that these undertakings are complied with and we strongly recommend that customers refer to this prior to purchase. ATCC does not fall under the obligations of the Nagoya protocol however this can impact our customers and we recommend that you refer to the protocol to determine if your country falls under the new regulations. Please note that with a view to traceability the transfer of cultures to third parties is not permitted without consent from ATCC.